Acronyms - IT people use hundreds of them and ConfigMgr is no exception.

Here’s a list of 'em (that relate to ConfigMgr) that you will probably see in the posts and docs on this site

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ConfigMgr or SCCM - System Centre Configuration Manager, WSUS - Windows Server Update Service, OSD - Operating System Deployment, USMT - User State Migration Tool, DCM - Desired Configuration Management, MDM - Mobile Device Manager, NAP - Network Access Protection, DP - Distribution Point, SQL - Structured Query Language (Microsoft's in this case), RBA - Role Based Administration, CAS - Central Administration Site, BDP - Branch Distribution Point

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Welcome to my blog :-)

This blog will cover everything I can in the desktop systems management space. I hope to get a number of HowTo's up with a rating of how tricky they are, e.g.

Simple - Getting an instance of ConfigMgr up and running the 'right' way on Windows 2008 R2

Tricky – Changing the default user profile in Windows 7 and deploying it to the enterprise

Hard - Managing remote Windows Mobile clients with a native mode ConfigMgr installation.

and geting a bunch of current and topical conversations going

Who am I to be giving this advice? Well I do it for a living so I guess I am kinda qualified but as with anything else you read on the web, it might be wrong, really wrong or damaging to your production environment


Caveat Emptor and always follow the 5 rules of implementation.

  • Test
  • Test
  • Test
  • Test
  • Cover you arse just in case
I work as an IT consultant for a company called Gen-i in Sydney, Australia and I look after all manner and sizes of clients and cover a number of disciplines; Windows 7 design, SOE design, Application rollout and management, patch management, operating system delivery and Microsoft's System Centre Configuration Manager are my core competencies but I also help out with virtualisation, VDI, any System Centre products, asset management and a heap of other things.

Let me know what you think of the design and whatnot, all constructive feedback gratefully received.

No comments:

Post a Comment